Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Why we chant

I often begin the classes I teach with the Anusara Invocation.  I've found in the past that if I try to use my brain to lead the chant I get lost and can't find the words.  Yesterday, while chanting, I let my mind wander and I was trying to remember a new student's name.  When I brought myself back to the present I found myself consciously thinking to remember the words that came next.  I stalled.  As I hesitated several others followed and stopped chanting. . . but one student continued the chant and, a moment later, the rest of us joined back in.  

This wasn't the first time this has happened in class.  Coming together to chant at the beginning of class whether it is the sound "OM," the Anusara Invocation, or another chant brings the group together as one.  

I learned in my teacher training that sound is rhythm or entrainment sped up.  When things come into line (or rhythm) with another.  The same thing happens with a grandfather clock, women's cycles, lovers, a mother & her baby.

As we tune into the breath, our self, the teacher and the kula a boundary is created.  A boundary between our practice and the rest of our day.  The cells of our body align with the sound, the vibration, and receive psychological benefit.


THE ANUSARA INVOCATION

OM

Namah Shivaya Gurave

I offer myself to the Light, the Auspicious One,
Who is the True Teacher within and without,

Saccidananda Murtaye

Who assumes the forms of Reality, Consciousness and Bliss,

Nisprapancaya Shantaya

Who is never absent and is full of peace,

Niralambaya Tejase

Independent in existence, the vital essence of illumination.

OM

No comments:

Post a Comment